Important steps in developing a winning SEO strategy: –
- As Google strives to improve the quality of its searches and provide better solutions to users’ queries, its algorithms are updated several times a year.
- Evaluate regularly to take advantage of the latest best practices and strategies.
- To stay up to date with the latest developments in the search world, consult trusted sources regularly.
- There are many resources for quality information.
- Whether to prefer articles, webinars or podcasts, SEO content is available.
- Organic search drives more than half of all website visits and should be an important part of any company’s digital marketing strategy, whether it’s an important mom-and-pop shop for multinational mega-corporations or direct-to-consumer sites.
- Providing useful content, not only increases trust but also compares the website with customer intent, which means higher quality leads and better, not paying per click, which means lower cost per conversion.
- So, even though they have the best pay-per-click (PPC) in the world, affiliate marketing campaigns usually drive motivated customers to the site.
Creating an Effective SEO Strategy:
Although SEO requires a comprehensive strategy, divide it into several manageable steps.
1. Align SEO with Business Objectives & Define KPIs:
- This allows them to benchmark against the roadmap and the current site that will guide them throughout the entire optimization process.
Consider various topics, including:
- The domain name, age, history, etc.
- Page factors such as headlines, keyword & topical goals and user engagement.
- Content organization, content quality and image quality.
- Duplicate content.
- Website factors such as architecture, schema and markup. And click-through rate (CTR).
- Past and future website updates.
- Quality of inbound links.
- On-site factors such as sitemaps and image optimization. And robots.txt.
Learn where to start, the time frame and the time to plan allocated budgets and resources.
Obviously, the budget and timeframe depend on the particular situation of the company, but if they want good results, be prepared to pay for them.
It measures the success of new implementations in this way and what is working and where adjustments need to be made.
Some KPIs to track:
- Organic sessions.
- Keyword ranking increases.
- Leads and conversions.
- Bounce rate
- Pages per session.
- Average session duration.
- Page load time.
- Top exit pages.
- Crawl errors.
2. Perform keyword research:
- Search engine rankings are determined by an algorithm that evaluates various factors to determine how well a website answers a particular search query, and much of that is the use of keywords.
- From single words to complex phrases, keywords inform content to search engines.
Do research to ensure keyword optimization, which means considering the following:
- The beauty of the English language lies in its greatness.
- Words often have multiple meanings, which is crucial considering the purpose of the search, so as not to lure audiences looking for something else.
- Identify goals, and identify important keywords.
- Generally, it is best to target only a few keywords, as targeting too wide can make it difficult for a search engine to identify what pages are related to.
- These are short phrases that contain two or more words that people type into search engines to find specific content.
Keyword research tools:
- The brainstorming process is a great place to start the keyword research, but to attract the right audience and prove value to search engines, a research tool must be used.
- Many SEO professionals use Google’s Keyword Planner.
- These are specific search terms that people use to find an exact match for their query.
- They tend to be longer and are more likely to be used by people who are closer to making a purchase.
- The number of searches for a particular keyword during a specific period gives a general idea of the value and competitiveness of the term.
- These are keywords targeting users in various parts of the sales funnel.
- People at the top of the funnel are more likely to be attracted by more general terms, while those closer to shopping compare prices and brands and are more likely to be attracted by things like discounts or hotel names.
- Keywords have as much to do with the audience as they do with the content.
- Every team needs an MVP, and in the case of the website, that’s the most valuable page.
- These pages are the ones that do most of the heavy lifting.
- For non-eCommerce sites, these are usually things like the home page, service pages, or any pages with demos or other offers.
- These pages are also likely MVPs for eCommerce sites, but will also tie into a category and/or product level pages.
To find which pages are the most important on the site, one must consider what the organization is known for.
- What verticals do compete in?
- What pain points do solve?
- Define them or add more based on the high-level keywords that come up.
- Identify the category and product pages that attract the most visitors, they will be able to focus the strategy on improving them and increasing organic traffic.
- If no competition, there would be no need for SEO.
- Having an idea of what others in the industry are doing, so the position for the best results.
- Figure out where the outmatched and find ways to turn the tables.
- One must know which keywords are more competitive and which ones have opportunities.
- Having an understanding of site structure and opposition backlinks, so optimize the site itself for the best possible search rankings.
- Learn more about how to perform this analysis and develop a template.
- Don’t overlook the importance of how the site is structured, both technically and in the user interface.
- The best content and keyword strategy in the world won’t lead to a single sale if the site constantly breaks or is frustrating enough to use those people who close the page in disgust.
- They must carefully consider site architecture and user experiences to ensure that people take the desired action.
- Find and fix any technical issues like broken links, slow load times, and wrong-site schema.
- There are several free tools to ensure the site works optimally.
- SEO does not exist in a vacuum, it affects many other parts of the organization including marketing, sales and IT.
- Including them in the development of the SEO strategy will help with lead generation and find new targets that are already qualified.
- SEO can tell the marketing team what types of content resonate best, so they can adjust their campaigns.
- Copywriters and graphic designers can develop the kind of content that will help skyrocket rankings.
- The IT team probably already has control over the website.
- An SEO strategy should be designed around the expertise, to ensure website design and structure, development cycles, data structure, and core principles are aligned.
- Some ways one can integrate SEO into existing workflows.
- Assess the existing software, technology, and staff, as there’s a good chance some of the pieces are already in place.
- At the end of the day, sales are the name of the game.
- No customers, no revenue, and that mean no business.
- To help in the sales process, the SEO strategy must align with the customer funnel.
- Reporting is essential.
- Being able to effectively measure and report on the progress being made.
- Reporting allows for establishing consistent and accurate data that builds trust.
- It helps understand the factors behind the ranking and identify areas where it can be improved.
- One of the most common mistakes people unfamiliar with SEO make is expecting overnight results.
- Due to the variables involved with the competition, inbound links, and the content itself, it is nearly impossible to provide a definite time frame.
- This needs to be conveyed to stakeholders early on to ensure expectations are realistic.
- Some of the most important metrics they want to consider include organic sessions, bounce rate, top exit pages, and crawl errors.
- There are a variety of free and paid tools available that can be used to measure and track conversions, and compare them weekly, monthly, or for another period of the choosing.
- Just find one that works for the budget and needs.
- With a solid strategy, a willingness to learn, and a little old-fashioned effort, even a beginner can take their website to the top of the SERP.
- Nine steps to follow to start the SEO strategy.
- Need a unique plan that works for the industry and its needs.