SEO implementations to increase the impact of link building campaigns: –
Use some technical SEO implementations for the site before, during and after the link building campaign to optimize the performance and long-term impact of each campaign.
These will increase short-term performance and generate lasting benefits from a concentrated burst of interest and brand attention.
Develop the strategy around the retention of new users:
When undertaking a link building campaign, it is important to remember that much of the traffic generated will be from new users.
These users are less likely to expect lazy-loading content and are less likely to return if they don’t make a good impression.
To get the most out of the campaign traffic, make sure users can seamlessly connect and interact with the site from a variety of channels and sources.
SEO priorities should be broadly divided into tasks that encourage social sharing, create opportunities for site-wide SEO gains, and maximize campaign viability as part of the broader marketing activity.
Let’s explore SEO tactics that can be used to optimize and improve link building campaign performance. As part of the campaign, one should aim to:
Increase the ability to share by making the site load faster and display more consistently to the predominantly mobile audience that discovers content through social media channels.
Enhance the chance for site-wide SEO gains through internal link optimizations, E-A-T indicator improvements, and on-page SEO from landing pages.
Optimize campaign viability by improving tracking, channel integration, and long-term link traffic planning.
In addition to being great for users, retention-based optimizations are efficient to manage because they can be planned and implemented much earlier than core campaigns.
They are also applicable to all link building campaigns and work in conjunction with fundamental backlink management tactics.
Laying the groundwork with a backlink audit:
Before going to work on getting new backlinks, perform a backlink audit for actionable data on the number of existing backlinks and the quality of referrals.
In the campaign planning stages, popular content identified in the audit can provide insights into the type of content that will work well with existing audiences and networks.
The total number of links will provide valuable benchmarks for demonstrating campaign performance. The quality and distribution of the inbound links will help the team set goals for which referrals, landing pages, and anchor text will give the most benefit.
Use a backlink auditing tool to find out:
- External sites are linked-to pages.
- The sites are linked to the pages.
- The quality of the backlink profile of external sites.
- Pages have existing external backlinks.
- Backlinks are identified as target errors because they go to 404 pages.
- The backlinks go to page 301.
If the inbound links include a significant proportion of poor-quality or toxic links, then to want to take corrective action like creating and submitting a disavow list in Google Search Console before the campaign starts in earnest.
To correct backlink navigation errors:
Backlink errors in 301 and 404 should be fixed to regain link value and build momentum before the campaign.
When traffic comes to a site through a 301 redirect link,
To lose some PageRank value from that connection and receive almost zero PageRank value from links pointing to a 404 page.
Repairing these links restores these connections and can help increase the organic performance of the campaign’s target pages by improving the overall authority of the domain.
These enhancements also reduce user connection times and improve tracking data.
Tools like Google Analytics find it difficult to attribute the source of the click, often leading to referral traffic being incorrectly attributed as direct, which is less helpful for marketers who want to know who their referrers are better. performance.
During the link retrieval process, update the links to the best new URL possible.
To improve the value of the links to already have, take these actions:
- Assign 301 redirects to any backlink destination errors that go to 404 pages.
- When assigning the new page, try to combine it with similar content.
- Make sure the existing 301s are linked to the final destination.
- When to have control over the linking page, for example on social profiles, directory listings, internal project sites, or partner sites, update the 301 or 404 links to a relevant 200 URL.
- It is common for sites that have recently adopted HTTPS to have the old HTTP link in their profiles and social listings.
Improving these links makes it easier for bots to crawl and index the site, improves connection speeds for users, and brings more consistency to brand messages before outreach activity begins.
SEO optimizations to improve the effectiveness of social sharing during link building campaigns:
Optimizing for social media should be a key part of the link building strategy because social media generates around 25% of website referral traffic worldwide.
Social media has become a critical part of content promotion and should be an expected component of the link building process.
Optimize for this mobile device audience first:
- Secure network connections to reduce referral delays.
- Improved mobile page speed.
- Open chart data update to improve social sharing ability.
Improve security to reduce connection delays.
Security is an element of technical SEO that is often oversimplified.
HTTPS is a classification signal, but many believe that this is achieved simply by obtaining an SSL certificate.
Security optimizations often involve server-side updates that can improve the speed and quality of connections on the web by streamlining the security verification process.
Social media sites like Facebook, which have high levels of encryption and security at their end and equally high expectations for referred domains.
Layers of security can slow down connection times and affect user trust, so spending time here can help overall campaign performance.
Update SSL to reduce connection time:
Not all SSLs are created equal, and the benefits of a secure website go beyond just getting a lock icon in the search bar.
An optimized SSL certificate will use the latest transport layer security protocols and be error-free.
Test the quality of the SSL:
There are several tools that allow checking the performance of the existing SSL.
Each tool runs different diagnostics, so it’s worth running them tangent to get a complete picture of where measurements need to be taken.
First, do a top-level SSL check:
For a quick snapshot, run the site through SSL Shopper’s SSL Checker.
Any errors should be flagged and dealt with directly with the certificate issuer.
Improving the bugs here can have an impact on the speed of the site. Run a full diagnostic:
With the SSL server test, get a more detailed diagnosis of the security settings.
This test gives the site a rating and assesses a variety of security indicators.
To support a link building campaign, confirm that the server is running modern Transport Layer Security (TLS) protocols, specifically TLS 1.2 and ideally TLS 1.3.
Not only is it more secure, but TLS 1.3 can improve connection latency by approximately 45% by eliminating network connection steps.
Cloudflare, Facebook, and Android use this protocol by default, and a corresponding update to the site could improve performance for a significant number of web users.
Cloudflare alone is used by around 16% of all websites worldwide and 81% of those with CDNs, so updating the TLS could help more users quickly access the site from every new link ( and established).
With the introduction of Google’s Core Web Vitals, speed metrics and upcoming algorithm updates have put an additional emphasis on mobile page load times in general.
In a link building campaign, see an increase in traffic to a single page.
Monitor landing pages in GA and Search Console to identify any challenges that need to be addressed.
Open Graph meta tags:
Social shares are almost certainly part of the link building campaign with good reason.
With updates to Open Graph (OG) tags, customize tags for better rendering and performance.
By using post validators for Facebook, Linked In, and Twitter can inspect the performance of individual pages.
Create opportunities for organic growth throughout the site:
The link building campaign can bring benefits to other pages of the site with careful planning.
SEO on page:
Link building campaign is based on a short term campaign landing page, thought leadership piece or core service, on-page SEO needs to be optimized to drive organic traffic as well.
A user can discover a campaign or promotion through direct link building activities, they should also be able to find it again or search for it to transfer any offline rumours to online knowledge.
The landing page should be supported by strong on-page SEO that includes:
- Keyword optimized content with H1 and H2.
- Relevant images optimized with alt text, titles, and structured data.
- Optimized metadata for campaign keywords.
Receive a juicy backlink from a relevant source, don’t let the profits stop at a single page.
Make sure the landing page has links to other relevant content throughout the site that will keep users coming back.
Create links from the landing page:
Map internal links to ensure that pages used as backlink landing pages include links to similarly themed pages on the site.
Get the most SEO benefit if the internal link structure includes links to pages with:
- Optimizations for keywords that are lexicographically similar.
- A relevant parent folder.
- Good authority or low bounce rate.
- 200 response codes for maximum traceability.
This enables users and web crawlers who are enabled for natural language search to understand that the content is part of a larger bank of knowledge and experience.
Link to the landing page for better indexing:
Internal linking works both ways, so don’t forget to create internal links in the campaign content.
For short-term campaigns, marketers sometimes create bespoke campaign landing pages with minimal links throughout the site.
This can result in slower indexing of campaign pages, making it difficult for users to find through search.
To address this, create an ad-style blog post that links to the campaign landing page.
Both pages can be entered into the updated sitemap and submitted for indexing.
So include information about the team behind the content or campaign to build expertise, authority, and trust for the brand, and increase the impact of social actions.
This is particularly useful for thought leadership campaigns, where experience cues, such as author bios, can be optimized with structured data.
For short-term campaigns like new events or products, including trust indicators like dynamic reviews can help with conversions.
Optimization for the viability of the campaign:
Meet broader business goals, such as driving sales, increasing market share, or generating leads.
Review and customize the tracking:
Once the links are built, the traffic to the landing page becomes an opportunity to generate valuable data for the conversion funnel.
Tracking should be designed to provide data that supports overall business goals.
During the campaign, one must keep the business goals in mind and understand how the landing page contributes to those goals.
Update the landing page tracking to include metrics that match the goals and content type.
Users visiting a data-rich 5,000-word industry report are at a different stage in the customer funnel than those visiting from a quality niche directory.
Building landing page metrics can also help with campaign ROI KPIs, reporting, and evidence that customers and managers love.
Once the business metrics have been implemented, use the data that has been collected from link traffic to reporting performance on other channels.
- Scroll depth data from users accessing high-quality content can be used to remarket content on YouTube or display advertising.
- The demographics of users who visit the site in search of content relevant to a niche could improve audience targeting for advertising or public relations activity.
- Email registrations for an outreach event can be added to Facebook as custom audiences and lookalikes for more direct conversions.
As SEO technicians, consider the team’s potential uses for customer data so that one can manage tagging and overall site scripting.
Test and optimize the new scripts before the campaign starts.
Long-term link traffic planning:
Consider the lifecycle of the link building campaign landing page.
Ideally, drive traffic to a URL that can build authority on the page over time.
So, plan ways to keep a constant, live URL for an extended period of time.
Depending on the link building strategy, one may employ one of the following techniques:
- Use permanent URLs for long-term content:
- Thought leadership, foundational content like a whitepaper, or one-off reports are likely to stay on the site for a long time.
- For this content, consider removing dates from the URL to make the content more timeless as this allows the content to refresh and reduces future redirect requirements.
- Create permanent pages for recurring campaigns – Landing pages for recurring outreach content, such as annual event sponsorships or awareness campaigns, should be part of permanent navigation.
- This allows to link each year to a well-optimized and updated static page annually, instead of starting from scratch with blogs at different URLs each year.
- Avoid linking to PDF files – put downloadable resources on an HTML landing page and link to that page. Links to PDF files can be difficult to redirect due to how they are configured in the ht access file.
- Plan for the inevitable redirects: For short-term campaigns like sales promotions, plan which page will become the permanent page.
Technical SEO can help to get and maintain backlinks, connect with mobile users, and improve the quality of connections when:
- Secure network connections to reduce referral delays.
- Improve page speed for mobile users.
- Update open chart data to improve social sharing ability.
- Update the SEO on the page.
- Optimize internal links.
- Include E-A-T optimizations.
- Customize the tracking.
- Plan channel integration.
- Plan for long-term link traffic.
These tactics will help build links to add value for customers, rankings, and the business for years to come.